Wednesday, February 5, 2020

What's the Best Method for Converting VHS tapes to DVD disks?

Like many of you, I have mountains of VHS tapes that we haven't looked at in years and that I don't want to throw away.  I've already converted all of my old cassette tapes using a different system.  But here, after multiple tries, lots of searching, and downloading lots of programs that either didn't work and wanted more money, I've finally found a system that is almost free and works really well. I'm pulling/sourcing from an old Goldstar VHS TV that only has one audio out-line, so RCA links only white and yellow no red or more modern S-video. I had bought a one unit VHS to DVD device years ago anticipating this need (but never got to it until after I retired),  and by now, it wouldn't function.  Unused things atrophy. 

Basically there are two issues:  a "device" that sees the audio/video from your source and second software that will interpret that AV.  The device, like Dazzle or Easy, is a pickle sized piece with input links on one side and a USB plug on the other end for the computer.  Then software has to recognize the AV coming in and convert it or manage it to output either to the PC or a disk drive.  Newer computers (like my Dell) don't have DVD drives anymore, so I had to purchase an external drive, very inexpensive from Amazon. 

First, what didn't work for me:  Dazzle.  I had one bought years ago and not tried until now.  I couldn't make the software with it work.  Buttons that didn't respond, lock up, etc.  (using WIN 10)  There are some clips on YouTube that showed one how to convert an audio channel into a video channel etc. But why should one have to go through all those machinations to make something work?   So I could not get the system to recognize my video line-in. 

Second, software.  Lots of companies will sell you pieces of software for $30 $40 or more to do the job of massaging incoming AV data to a video file.  The highest touted free software is OBS--Open Broadcasting System. It is completely free (unlike others who say FREE but only to download then you have to buy--GRRRRR), complex, full featured AND I couldn't make it work with Dazzle.  It would recognize the Dazzle as DVC-100 an audio link but wouldn't recognize the video link only showing the Integrated Video Cam.

SO, I bought a "Easy VHS to DVD" package from Amazon for less than $20.  It came, I installed the included software (Arcsoft which I'd seen/heard of / downloaded long ago) and plugged it in, turned on the VHS and BINGO the video and audio are recognized and coming through.  Taping my first one now.  You can also set the SAVE TO location, so next time, I'll set that to D: and go through the computer to the DVD drive.  That's the way it should be.  Simple,  Easy, Obvious.

This after days of experimenting, searching, purchasing, etc.  SO, I hope this helps you.  BTW, PCMag noted this as the second best system, works the best for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment