Friday, October 21, 2011

Tegel me no more 8-(

I love Berlin's Tegel airport.  You get out of the cab, and you're right at the gate.  Security is run at each gate.  No long lines.  When you get off the plane, they deliver your baggage AT THE GATE.  It's amazing.  This last trip, my bags were there when I got to the gate.  Amazing.  I LOVE Tegel.  And of course, they are shutting it down.  I'm reminded of Jared Diamond's discussion of the Collapse of Societies and how sometimes the modern way is unsustainable and a big step backward.  Sometimes the older system is more reliable, sustainable, convenient, and efficient.  The Vikings in Greenland wouldn't learn from the Inuits and eventually died out.  The New Guineans have been living there along with the Tokopian Islanders thank you for 46,000 years and then along came the "Europeans."  I'm sure Shoenflug will be a nice airport.  The new Denver airport was a nice (looking) airport.  I'm sad that "they" are shutting down Tegel and moving.  I can't imagine a more convenient experience than Tegel.

Now, Frankfurt and Munich on the other hand, are large, confusing, under-signed, and maze-like.  Everytime I follow the signs, I end up in the wrong place.  The electronic board says --> and it turns out the right way is <--.  Tring to find the G gates in Munich?  Be careful, you might find yourself outside before you know it.  Frankfurt?  Take a map, a GPS, and a personal guide and then run and hope for the best. 

Don't take my Tegel!!  Too late, I suppose.

No comments:

Post a Comment