Tuesday, September 22, 2020

Does perfectionism enhance performance?

IME there is. Perfectionism is IMO obsessive and perhaps the result of a bit of OCD. I have a mild case and the way it pushed me to do my best, to try to be the best I can be in everything I did certainly increased my performance in school, in athletics, in writing, in everything.

That said, perfectionism can also be destructive in that if one obsesses too much with getting “it” (whatever it is) right, one might not complete assignments and become paralyzed by not being able to achieve perfection. The pursuit of perfection with a healthy dose of pragmatism would be a good mix. That is NOT “in search of good enough” which is where a lot, the vast majority?, are. Perfectionism IME goes beyond good enough to wanting to be the best. To get 100%’s on exams, to get universally positive feedback, to get 100% positive reviews, etc. That seldom happens. Perfectionism can drive one crazy if not tempered with some pragmatism of what’s possible and what’s salable to others.

But the desire to do better, to do something “perfectly” does indeed enhance performance. I lived in Japan for about four years and observed this in Japanese culture. Artists and writers who wanted to capture something perfectly—but then inserted a little error intentionally realizing that perfection was unattainable and to presume such was arrogantly misguided. The tea ceremony, the way a geisha closes a shoji door, the way one wears kimono, and much more are examples of seeking to do things “perfectly” in normal, everyday life. It’s a feature of Japanese culture that appealed to me deeply.

My mother contributed to this in me. Her VABEs included “do it right the first time,” “use it up, wear it out, fix it up or do without,” “clean as you go,” and more. If I was sloppy about making the bed or sweeping out the garage, she’d have me do it again. I learned early on, on top of my (then unknown) mild OCD, to do things to the best of my ability everytime. That’s a habit that has served me well. See my website at Level Three Leadership for more background under my professional background—if you wish.  

No comments:

Post a Comment